Friday, September 6, 2013

The Gist

So, I've decided to keep a blog to document my experience in Hong Kong. I wasn't going to do it. In fact, I had no intentions of blogging when I studied in the Netherlands either. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have done it if it weren't for the study abroad office. In retrospect though, I was glad that I had it after the fact.  This time, I'm still on the fence.  If anything though, I think it's therapeutic. I like to write. If I don't make friends, well, at least I can talk to myself on here. I cannot promise that it will be anything interesting to read, but it is what it is. If anything, maybe it will be a useful place for my family to see the pictures that I have been meaning to upload, but never quite seem to get around to.

Here's the thing though. I can only write about what I see, think, and know. Quite frankly, I cannot speak for all people in my position and my interpretations of my surroundings are, well, just that- my interpretations.  Any broad generalizations that may arise along the way are made based on personal anecdotal evidence, but not cold hard facts. And almost everything is most likely going to come out stream-of-consiousness.

Since I've actually been here just about two weeks now, I am going to have to do some of this in retrospect.  I suppose I could have, and should have, written earlier, but I've been doing my best just to keep on top of all the details and hurdles that accompany moving to a foreign country with nothing more than a suitcase, a contract, and an address.

Ok, there's the disclaimer. Take it or leave it.  And I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment